jueves, 3 de abril de 2014


June 2013 Option A
1.The Mercer Quality of Living Index has recently considered Vienna the best place on the planet to live.
Vienna has recently been considered the best place on the planet to live by the Mercer Quality of Living Index.
2. Many people claim that Paris is a wonderful town. However, it has been ranked 29th in the survey.
Although many people claim that Paris is a wonderful town, it has been ranked 29th in the survey.
3. That country was going through a civil war and that is why it obtained lower scores.
As that country was going through a civil war, it obtained lower scores.
4. Mike spent twelve hours travelling to Vienna.
It took Mike twelve hours to travel to Vienna.
June 2013 Option B
1.The Slow Movement has more members in France than in Spain.
There aren’t as many slow movement members in Spain as in France.
2. Oppose government funding of genetic engineering or the naturalness of your products will be lost.
Unless you oppose government funding of genetic engineering, the naturalness of your products will be lost.
3. It’s a pity that consumers are not educated about the risk of fast food.
I wish consumers were educated about the risk of fast food.
4. This movement was the first established part of the broader Slow Movement. It has since expanded globally to over 150 countries.
This movement, which was the first established part of the broader Slow Movement, has since expanded globally to over 150 countries.



September 2013 Option A
1.Slurping your soup is acceptable in some cultures although in Spain it is considered bad table manners.
Despite the fact that slurping yur soup is acceptable in some cultures, in Spain it is considered bad table manners.
2. I’ll see you at the restaurant this evening if I don’t phone you to cancel.
Unless I phone you to cancel, I'll see you at the restaurant this evening.
3. “Don’t put your elbows on the table”, she begged Tom.
She begged Tom not to put his elbows on the table.
4. Employers sometimes interview potential employees over lunch.
Potential employees are sometimes interviewed over lunch.
September 2013 Option B
1.For centuries people have used clothing to express their emotions and preferences.
For centuries clothing has been used to express people's emotions and preferences.
2. Choosing garments that last longer seems reasonable, but it is difficult to go against the rules of the market.
Although choosing garments that last longer seems reasonable, it is difficult to go against the rules of the market.
3. Buying fewer clothes less often slows the rate of consumption. This is, therefore, a sustainable fashion movement.
Since buying fewer clothes less often slows the rate of consumption, it is a sustainable fashion movement.
4. “Don’t buy that vintage dress!”, she asked Meg.
She asked Meg not to buy that vintage dress.


June 2012 Option A
1. The situation will go from bad to worse if he doesn’t undergo counselling for his violent behaviour.
Unless he undergoes counselling for his violent behaviour, the situation will go from bad to worse.
2. He went on acting violently although he knew his behaviour was damaging his family life.
Despite the fact that he knew his behaviour was damaging his family life, he went on acting violently.
Despite knowing that his behaviour...
Despite the knowledge that his behaviour...
3. The counselling programme George has taken is aimed at examining men’s beliefs about violence and self-control.
George has taken a counselling programme that/which aims at men’s beliefs about violence and self-control/...whose aim is to examine men’s beliefs...
4. Counsellors teach men practical strategies, including self-talk and time out.
Men are taught practical strategies, including self-talk and time out.


June 2012 Option B
5. The compounds in SHS irritate a passive smoker’s eyes.
A passive smoker’s eyes are irritated by the compounds in SHS.
6. Some smokers think that limiting their smoking to one room is an effective measure, but tobacco smoke easily drifts through the rest of the house.
Although some smokers think that limiting their smoking to one room is an effective measure, tobacco smoke easily drifts through the rest of the house.
7. The smoke in the room is heavier than the air. The smoke starts to descend.
Since the smoke in the room is heavier than the air, it starts to descend.
8. ‘Please don’t smoke!, I begged the taxi driver.
I begged the taxi driver not to smoke.
September 2012 Option A
9. In a couple of years she lost 15 kilos.
It took her a couple of years to lose 15 kilos.
10. Some medical students have designed this soft-food diet.
This soft-food diet has been designed by some medical students.
11. You must involve kids in buying and preparing food and they will acquire healthy eating habits.
If you involve kids in buying and preparing food, they will acquire healthy eating habits.
12.  ‘Are you a vegetarian?’ he asked me.
He wanted to know if I was a vegetarian.
September 2012 Option B
13. My friend Barbara spends more money on fair trade chocolate than I do.
I don’t spend as much money on fair trade chocolate as my friend Barbara does.
14. In my opinion you should join a Fair Trade organization as a volunteer.
If I were you, I would join a Fair Trade organization as a volunteer.
15. ‘Remember to look for the FTO label in handcraft products’.
He told me (to remember/not to forget) to look for the FTO label in handcraft products.
16. The FTO Mark gave Fair Trade Organizations reliable recognition amongst consumers.
Fair Trade Organizations were given reliable recognition amongst consumers by the FTO Mark.
June 2011 Option A
17. In my opinion you should quit that job.
If I were you, I would quit that job.
18. Circumstances have forced her to take annual leave to stay home and care for her sick parents.
She has been forced by circumstances to take annual leave to stay home and care for her sick parents.
19. ‘Be careful what you say at work!’.
He warned me to be careful what I said at work.
20. Stress loads are higher than ever for working mothers. They are having fewer children.
Since stress loads are higher than ever for working mothers, they are having fewer children.
June 2011 Option B
21. There is a great social gulf between the king and the speech therapist but they eventually become friends.
Although there is a great social gulf between the king and the speech therapist, they eventually become friends.
22. She said: ‘Does the cast list name the actress playing Elizabeth II?
She asked me if the cast list named the actress playing Elizabeth II.
23. The stammer had tortured Albert since childhood.
Albert had been tortured by the stammer since childhood.
24. He doesn’t try hard enough. He will not be able to overcome that speech impediment.
Unless he tries harder, he will not be able to overcome that speech impediment.
September 2011 Option A
25. You should not use sleeping tablets during a long haul flight.
Sleeping tablets should not be used during a long haul flight.
26. I did not wear an eye mask. I could not sleep during the flight.
If I had worn an eye mask, I could have slept during the flight.
27. “Drink caffeinated drinks in moderation during the day”, the doctor said to me.
The doctor advised me to drink caffeinated drinks in moderation during the day.
28. The dry air aboard your aircraft can give you headaches and dry your skin. For this reason, you should drink water regularly.
Since the dry air aboard your aircraft can give you headaches and dry your skin, you should drink water regularly.
September 2011 Option B
29. My son spends more time playing computer games than I do.
I don’t spend as much time playing computer games as my son.
30. When she was a child, my sister read bedtime stories with my mother regularly. (used to)
When she was a child, my sister used to read bedtime stories with my mother regularly.
31. “Have you uploaded the file?” he asked me.
He wanted to know if I had uploaded the file.
32. Parents should control their children when they decide to surf the internet.
Children should be controlled when they decide to surf the internet.
June 2010 Option A
33. “Americans are entering their adult years at a significantly higher weight”, researchers reported.
Researchers reported that Americans were entering their adult years at a significantly higher weight.
34. I have eaten a bowl of M&Ms. Now I feel unhappy and weigh more.
If I hadn’t eaten a bowl of M&Ms, now I wouldn’t feel unhappy and weigh more.
35. In the past, Americans typically chewed food up to 25 times before they swallowed it; now the average American chews 10 times.
Whereas in the past, Americans typically chewed food up to 25 times before they swallowed it, now the average American chews 10 times.
36. At present restaurants do not list calorie counts on their menus.
I wish restaurants would list calorie counts on their menus.
June 2010 Option B
37. It’s a pity they didn’t permit women athletes to compete.
I wish they had permitted women athletes to compete.
38. During the Games sculptors created statues of Olympic victors and displayed their works of art. (...) used to (...)
During the Games sculptors used to create statues of Olympic victors and displayed their works of art.
39. The organizers awarded the winner of an Olympic event an olive branch.
The winner of an Olympic game was awarded an olive branch by the organizers.
40.  ‘I have read that single women were allowed to watch the races’, he said to me.
He said to me that he had read that single women were allowed to watch the races.
September 2010 Option A
41. ‘It's the first site I go to when I turn on my computer’, he said.
He said that it was the first site he went to when he turned on his computer.
42. In my opinion, you should phone him back later.
If I were you, I would phone him back later.
43. Thousands of teenagers are currently using Facebook as a social networking site.
Facebook is currently being used as a social networking site by thousands of teenagers.
44. Facebook offers infinite access to the private lives of one’s friends. For this reason, users must be cautious with the information they give.
Because Facebook offers infinite access to the private lives of one’s friends, users must be cautious with the information they give.
September 2010 Otion B
45. Twilight was initially rejected by 14 agents. However, it became an instant bestseller when published in 2005.
Even though Twilight was initially rejected by 14 agents, it became an instant bestseller when published in 2005.
46. The year of its publication they sold foreign rights to the novel to over 26 countries.
The year it was published they sold foreign rights to the novel to over 26 countries.
47. Initial reviews for Twilight were mostly positive. For this reason, it ranked first in the
New York Times Best Seller list.
Because initial reviews for Twilight were mostly positive, it ranked first in the New York Times Best Seller list.
48. ‘In my opinion, this novel is realistic, subtle and easy to follow’, she said.
She said that in her opinion, that novel was realistic, subtle and easy to follow.
June 2009
49. Hostels have always had the big shared dormitory-style rooms. In contrast, now they offer double or single rooms.
Although hostels have always had the big shared dormitory-style rooms, now they offer double or single rooms.
50. Hostels are good value for money. For this reason, a varied clientele decides to stay at a hostel.
Because hostels are good value for money, a varied clientele decides to stay at them.
51. Hostels are now attracting customers because of their quality improvement.
Customers are now being attracted by hostels because of their quality improvement.
52. I stayed at an expensive hotel and paid a lot of money for it. I should have stayed at a hostel, which is cheaper.
If I had stayed at a hostel, which is cheaper, I wouldn’t have paid so much money for the hotel.
September 2009
53. These visitors are bringing their cameras to capture some of the park’s most popular animals.
Cameras are being brought by these visitors to capture some of the park’s most popular animals.
54. The park is covered in snow, all frozen silence and stillness. However, beneath the snow the park remains a very dynamic place.
Even though the park is covered in snow, all frozen silence and stillness, beneath the snow the park remains a very dynamic place.
55. “The natural wonders of the park are unique”, the tourist said to me.
The tourist said to me that the natural wonders of the park were unique.
56. I didn’t visit the park in winter because I didn’t have the time.
If I had had the time, I would have visited the park in winter.
June 2008
57. To me, this scenery is desolate. Yet, to the Eskimo it is rich.
Although, to me, this scenery is desolate, to the Eskimo it is rich.
58. “I never liked the Arctic landscape”, she said to me.
She told me that she had never liked the Arctic landscape.
59. Explorers didn’t know how to do things well, so they failed.
If explorers had known how to do things well, they wouldn’t have failed.
60. The foreigner sees wilderness where the native sees home.
Whereas the foreigner sees wilderness, the native sees home.
September 2008
61. I cannot work here because I am too old.
If I were younger/weren't so old, I could work here.
62. Many lawsuits have supported this right.
This right has been supported by many lawsuits.
63. There are some forms of discrimination in their country, but they only take place occasionally.
Although there are some forms of discrimination in their country, they only take place occasionally.
64. I wasn’t young enough for this job, and I didn’t get it.
 If I had been young enough for this job, I would have got it.
June 2007
65. There has been a radical transformation, and that is why the Earth exists as it does.
Because there has been a radical transformation, the Earth exists as it does.
66. Human beings have done many things but they had very little influence on the environment for a very long time.
Although human beings have done many things, they had very little influence on the environment for a very long time.
67. In my opinion, you should think more about the environment.
If I were you, I would think more about the environment.
68. Plants, animals and human beings have transformed the Earth.
The Earth has been transformed by plants, animals and human beings.
September 2007
69. In my opinion, you need to use computers to navigate.
If I were you, I would use computers to navigate.
70. We said: ‘So how did you go around the world?’
We asked her how she had gone around the world.
71. Kay Cottee could get lost sometimes but not always.
Although Kay Cottee could get lost sometimes, it did not always happen.
72. I didn’t use good navigation equipment, so I got lost.
If I had used good navigation equipment, I wouldn’t have got lost.
June 2006
73. It’s a pity I didn’t turn vegetarian when I was younger.
I wish I had turned vegetarian when I was younger.
74.  In my opinion, you should stop smoking.
If I were you, I would stop smoking.
75. “I was never a big steak fan,” she said to me.
She told me that she had never been a big steak fan.
76. I didn’t study enough, so I didn’t pass the exam.
If I had studied enough, I would have passed the exam.
September 2006
77. Some students of Engineering have designed this game
This game has been designed by some students of Engineering.
78.  You must feed these little people or they’ll die. (...) unless (...)
These little people will die unless you feed them.
79. “Have you ever played this game?” he asked me.
He wanted to know if I had ever played that game.
80. When she was younger, my sister played this game regularly. (...) used to (...)
When she was younger, my sister used to play this game regularly.

0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario